Building a Case for Structured Attorney Fees
by Rick Bishop
Principal, Settlement Planners
Personal injury attorneys are aware of the benefits that structured settlements provide for their clients. But did you know that structured settlements may
offer you a similar advantage?
By structuring a portion of your attorney fees under a qualified or non-qualified structured settlement, you may be able to defer income until a future time. Not only can this reduce your current taxable income, it also offers a secure way to set aside income for your future needs, such as those you’ll have in retirement.
By using a structured settlement you can:
- Defer all or any part of your fee derived from a qualified structured settlement; there’s no limit.
- Choose when your payments will start at the time of settlement; there’s no need to wait until age 59½ for payments to begin.
- Set up lump sum payments to cover known future needs such as a college education for children.
- Your payments will be entirely predictable — unaffected by future market performance.
- Potentially reduce your taxes by spreading out income over time.
To find out more about how we can help you navigate this surprisingly complex area of your practice, call today for a free consultation: 800-727-3885